Upon reaching phase 2, residents have the opportunity to do small jobs and receive Heritage Bucks which can be used in the Heritage Lane Country Store. Residents are paid Heritage Bucks every 2 weeks. The store is stocked with hygiene products, healthy snacks, diet soda and other supplies at a significant discount off retail price to account for Heritage Bucks.
Like any job, residents must apply for the job. The proper department reviews the application. The resident’s performance of the job is reviewed to ensure the job is being done correctly and safely.
Example Process of Obtaining a Job:
- Resident applies to pick up trash around the grounds of the community
- Maintenance, overseeing the grounds, will review the application
- Maintenance will take the application to Nursing to ensure the resident is safe to perform the job
- The job is approved
- Resident begins work and receives Heritage Buck every 2 weeks
- Resident performance is reviewed by Maintenance and reported back to Activities who oversees Heritage Bucks
- If the resident is not performing to the job standards, the resident will be asked to discontinue the job
This is a very successful program because most residents are on a very limited income and often use these funds for cigarettes and small items from Walmart. Work therapy is a way to earn a way to purchase some of the necessities that often get overlooked, such as soap, shampoo, and deodorant.